Responsible for holding the management of EASI to account and driving the quality of service and welfare of our learners, our governance systems are also responsible for the financial health of EASI; making sure that public funds are used effectively. The Board of Governors are also responsible for challenging our company targets and progression.
We have a number of governance systems that continue to evolve as we transition from sole sub-contractor status to prime provider.
Who are our Board of Governors?
- Julie Rawson (Chair of Governors & Managing Director)
- Jenny Jenkins (Non-Executive Director)
- Gemma Hall (Operations Director)
- Katie Saunders (Finance Director)
How does EASI Governance work?
As a sub-contractor EASI are governed by Colchester Institute. We attend contract meetings once a term where our performance is reviewed against agreed targets.
In addition to this arrangement EASI have used a number of other systems to influence and challenge our business including:
- Managing Director. Julie Rawson, founder of EASI Hairdressing Academy, has taken a Governance role since 2011. Julie oversees all strategic decisions and holds the management team to account.
- Lockhart Hawkins. A consultancy service that have provided efficiency improvements and Learner Support development whilst challenging processes and completing funding compliance audits.
- Sarah Wade. A contractor with 4 years experience, and a former Quality Manager for EASI, Sarah provides monthly external audits of apprentice paperwork and funding systems.
Whilst the Chair or Governors and Non-Executive Director(s) aren’t expected to get involved in day-to day operational detail (they must avoid stepping from governance into operational matters), we find that the Operations and Finance Directors provide governors with a useful opportunity to get closer to the operational business and understand the business culture.
When do the Board of Governors Meet?
From 2019 our Board of Governors have scheduled to meet six times a year.
In addition, small working groups are sometimes set up to consider specific issues, and report into the Board of Governors.
The Board of Governors generally meets on a Tuesday from 10am to 2pm. Members of the public are not entitled to attend meetings of the Board of Governors, unless by specific invitation (‘member of the public’ is defined as anyone who is not a member of the Board). However, the public are permitted to request to attend meetings as observers on prior agreement with the Chair (this can be arranged via the Office Manager of EASI Hairdressing Academy). The attendance of observers is subject to rulings by the Corporation with regard to confidentially and particular interest etc. If you’re interested in attending a meeting, please contact the Office Manager on 01206 579949.
The dates of Board meetings for 2019 are as follows:
- Tuesday 15th January
- Tuesday 26th March
- Tuesday 21st May
- Tuesday 23rd July
- Tuesday 17th September
- Tuesday 19th November
How can I become a Governor?
EASI are looking to develop their Board of Governors with volunteers from the local community including employers, schools, parents etc. If you think you might be interested or would like to find out more, please contact Gemma Hall, Operations Director on 01206 579949 or email@example.com.
EASI is committed to a policy of open governance and we hope that you are able to find the information you are looking for in these pages. However, please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.